Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 1: Holy wake-up call


(These are pictures of the different cuts we learn and use regularly)

Before I begin on my reflections of the first class, let me just say that I think I’m a pretty good cook. I know I’m tooting my own horn, but people actually want to eat the food I make, more than once! Ergo, I went in with the mindset that this course would basically be a reiteration of the techniques I already know. WRONG! I know nothing.

While the first half of class was pretty basic: proper uniforms, hygiene, the structure of a kitchen, and basic cooking utensils, the second half was a whole other ball game. I had never before heard of taillage the French term for proper vegetable cuts, but I would soon learn it is my nemesis. After a quick demonstration by the Chef on how to cut a carrot into a jardinière (5 cm long, 5 mm thick sticks), and émincer (thinly slice) an onion it was the students’ turn to dive into taillage. After 15 minutes of fumbling over oblong carrots, and crying over hacked onions, it was time to get a sign-off from the Chef.

Drawing all the courage I had, I held my breath as the Chef fondled my onion slices, and eyed my carrot sticks. Finally he spoke, “Bery inconsistent.” Instantly I deflated like a popped balloon. Sigh. Only 595 more hours to go…

No comments:

Post a Comment